Dean of the School of Community Ministry (REMOTE)
- Academic Dean of the School of Community Ministry
Job Description for Online Position
- Reports To: Provost of Missional University
- Approved By: President of Missional University
Notice to Applicants:
APPLICANTS MUST HAVE EXPERIENCE AND DOCTORATE IN SOME COMMUNITY-BASED OR HUMAN SERVICES AREA (Ph.D.)
EdD or DMin APPLICANTS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION. THANK YOU.
Please attach a letter of inquiry, curriculum vita, and list three references.
In your letter of inquiry, please explain your Christian faith commitment and international / mission experience. Thank you!
The School of Community Ministry introduces students to ways of serving in the mission of God in the community while meeting people at their point of need. Courses and programs combine elements of pastoral care, community development, criminal justice, community health services, and social work and ministry with biblical and missional foundations in social and moral theology. Students are equipped to serve in Christian faith-based organizations and secular organizations where they serve social and health needs in the context of redemptive relationships among vulnerable population groups.
Candidates for this position should not only have academic administration experience but should also have served in some aspect of community-based human services. The applicant should be able to provide a strong exposition of the missio dei in missional theology and its application to practice in the mission of God.
Applicants may serve online from anywhere on the globe and do not have to have US residency, but must be fluent in English and have a stable internet connection. Applicants must have practical mission experience in a cross-cultural context.
Since the Missional University is dedicated to training grassroots missional leaders in the evangelical tradition, administrative staff and faculty members must commit to both our faith and ethos statements. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Women, majority world scholars, and ethnic minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
What’s Great About the Job?
- Mission, Vision and Core Values of the University focus on the mission of God in the world
- The position is 100% online, remote position
- Educational innovation combines interdisciplinary curriculum design with theological reflection and experiential learning
- School of Community Ministry combines several forms of human services including pastoral care and chaplaincy, community development, criminal justice & public safety, medical & health services, and social work & ministry
- Faculty and staff are geographically distributed from Alaska to New Zealand
- The online Administration Center provides virtual offices with video conferencing capabilities.
- Academic leader of the school
- The representative of the school to the rest of the University
- The representative of University leadership to their school
- Manager of the school’s resources
- Representatives of school & University to outsiders
- Coordinating the development of and implementing the school’s vision and goals statement within the overall mission and vision of the Missional University
- Leading, and coordinating school strategic planning and curriculum development
- Leading and overseeing the processes of faculty and staff selection and retention following HR guidelines
- Evaluating overall departmental/school productivity in instruction, research, and service responsibilities
- Directly supervises 5 Department Chairs and 20 to 30 faculty members
- Interviewing, recruiting, and training faculty members
- Planning, assigning and directing work
- Appraising performance
- Addressing complaints and resolving problems
Qualifications and Skills
- Doctoral degree (Ph.D.) or equivalent from an accredited seminary or university
- The doctoral degree must be in Pastoral Care, Chaplaincy, Community Development, Criminal Justice, Community Health, Social Work or related area
- More than 10 years related experience and/or training.
- Teaching experience at a university, seminary or Bible college, preferably online
- Some administrative experience in higher education
- Academic publications & presentations in their academic field
- A vibrant Christian testimony
- Demonstrated experience in some form of missions either in the US or elsewhere.
- Strong administrative, management and leadership skills in a higher education setting
- Passionate about the mission of the Missional University
- Able to sign the university faith and ethos statements