Title: Database & Digital Engagement Manager (Remote)
Job Type: Full-Time
Database & Digital Engagement Manager
Resource Generation is seeking a full-time (remote) Database & Digital Engagement Manager to build database best practices and digital campaigns to support building Resource Generation’s membership and impact.
Resource Generation is a national non-profit organization mobilizing young people (age 18-35) with access to wealth and class privilege in the U.S. to become transformative leaders working towards the equitable distribution of wealth, land and power.
The broader Resource Generation community includes people of all ages and class backgrounds who support the role that young people with wealth play in social change. RG has 16 chapters in cities around the U.S., and our chapters engage in base-building, political education programming, running giving circles, engaging in local and national campaigns, and building local organizational relationships.
RG organizes young people with wealth and the RG staff is a multi-class and multi-racial team. We especially encourage people of color and people from poor and working-class backgrounds to apply.
Why are we hiring for this role?
This is a new position which will take the lead on implementing database standards and leveraging its capabilities to do many awesome, critical things like support membership drives, support online and on-the-ground campaigns, track collective resource mobilization, train and support our members across 16+ chapters in using our current suite of digital and database tools, including EveryAction, Hustle, WordPress/website, among others.
We’re looking for a candidate that has two primary qualifications, both of which will set them up for success in this role:
- Experience with and interest in using digital and database best practices for organizing. At RG, we are using our database specifically to support RG’s membership program, resource mobilization, campaigns, etc, and other RG priorities. This includes any work that you think translates well to meeting these needs.
- Someone who is data and systems-minded – you can dive into a database and configure it to meet our needs, and present this information to others in accessible and compelling ways (with some on the job training and support). We will consider any experience you think translates well to this work.
By more effectively mobilizing our growing base to act, more money will move to social justice movements and more young people with wealth will participate in campaigns to address the root causes of wealth inequality
This position is supervised by the Communications Director.
Database and Digital Engagement Manager
The Database and Digital Engagement Manager will not work in an online silo — rather they will be frequently interfacing with a range of people across the organization and supporting multiple efforts.
- Lead on ensuring Resource Generation’s digital engagement activity supports organizing and campaign goals, with the supervision of the Communications Director who oversees digital engagement strategy overall. — 45%
- Inform our organizing strategy with data, by tracking trends in online to offline conversion, creating a culture of commitment to best practices in database organization, and fostering consistency of digital content quality across the organization.
- Ensure website and other digital tools/platforms and key content are optimized to drive membership engagement (among other organizational priorities) by using data to inform decisions and lead on streamlining where possible, for example creating reusable templates for content writing/sharing.
- Support and implement digital campaigns (including setting goals, targeting lists, informing content creation, and tracking engagement) to build our base and mobilize members online to participate in activity towards organizational goals such as registering for events and webinars, taking public action, signing our Giving Pledge, and other actions.
- Work with Campaigns Director, Membership Director, Chapter and Basebuilding Director, Communications Director and others to identify, create, and implement emergent online activation campaigns.
- Create and implement strategies for using online communication spaces to support organizational goals, for example RG uses Google groups, social media groups, direct messaging, etc. to communicate with our membership community.
- Own Resource Generation’s database and digital tools. The Associate Director currently owns this area of work, and this position will work closely with them as responsibility transitions. — 45%
- Overall responsible for leading on training and troubleshooting our digital engagement systems — breaking down complex systems and practices so they can be understood and ultimately adopted by people of varying digital experience.
- Create video/written trainings and other support tools to guide staff and chapter leaders to use the database more easily and strategically, including smarter targeting of lists, tracking of relevant organizing data, and better coordinating online actions into organizing strategy.
- Lead as the primary point person to coordinate and troubleshoot with staff and member leaders on how to best utilize digital tools to strengthen the work they are responsible for. For example: work with the Development Director on major donor tracking; with Chapter Organizers on prospective member intake process; and with the Finance & Operations Manager on updating members’ credit cards.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for sales and support people for EveryAction, Hustle, and other digital engagement platforms.
- Monitor new tools and developments in the field of online organizing and make recommendations for experimenting with, adding or changing the contractors that we use, and leading training and adoption of those tools.
- Participate in shared national organizing priorities (work that all staff participate in together that is not unique to their position) — 10%
- Responsible for elements of planning for our National Retreats – including Making Money Make Change and Transforming Family Philanthropy.
- Responsible for participating in our collective base building and fundraising goals, and meeting an individual fundraising goal.
- Responsible for owning the accuracy and regular input of data for assigned contacts, as well as core administrative functions such as uploading and tagging receipts for travel expenses.
- Data and systems-minded. Someone who is detail-oriented, who can dive into a database and configure it to meet our needs, and present data to others in accessible and compelling ways.
- Demonstrated competency in fundamental online organizing skills that translate to successfully meeting the core responsibilities of this role. This is not an entry level position.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully implement rigorous digital engagement strategies through various platforms to support organizing goals, for example mobilizing a group of people to take action online and on the ground, or supporting a multi-faceted campaign in reaching its goals.
- Results-oriented: Demonstrated ability to set goals and sequence work towards concrete them, breaking through barriers to achieve them, and learning in the process.
- Strong project manager: Can keep projects on track and communicate expectations and progress regularly with a team.
- Experience with EveryAction and/or NGP VAN a plus but not required
- Demonstrated ability to train people to develop and consistently use new technology skills
- Working graphic design knowledge
- Experience within a remote work environment
- Fluent in HTML/CSS.
- Strong relationship-builder: cultivates trust, responsive to feedback, thrives in a highly collaborative environment, eager to support others.
- Basic understanding of class, classism, your own class background and its connections to race
The person in this role will implement digital and database best practices across the organization and among 16+ RG chapters to expand RG’s capacity to effectively organize young people with wealth iand to take nationally coordinated action towards the equitable distribution of wealth, land, and power.
Location: This is a remote position. RG staff typically travel four times per year to staff and member retreats as required. RG staff is currently not traveling due to COVID-19.
Compensation: This is a full-time position with a starting salary of $60,000 to low $60s depending on experience. Benefits include 100% employer paid health, vision, and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan and an employer contribution after one year of employment, medical and transit flexible spending account, and annual paid vacation (15 days), sick leave (15 days), personal days (5 days), and holidays (10).
Please note that all interviews will be remotely conducted by Zoom unless otherwise noted.