Reimagine the infrastructure of cancer care within a technology and science community that values integrity, inspires growth, and is uniquely positioned to create a more modern, connected oncology ecosystem.
We're looking for a Data Insights Engineer, Machine Learning to help us accomplish our mission of improving lives by learning from the experience of every person with cancer. Are you ready to be the next changemaker in cancer care?
What You'll Do
At Flatiron, we’re pioneering the use of machine learning (ML) and natural language processing (NLP) to extract clinically relevant information from unstructured medical notes for use in oncology research. The Horizon team is helping to build these next generation research data products, developing ML models to capture a complete picture of the patient journey. While most of the team are Data Scientists, Prism has team members spanning 5 different fields, from data science to product management to research oncology.
You will help guide our product roadmap and help lead the technical development effort of our models. Engaging with a cross-functional group of stakeholders both within Prism and across the company, you will lead model development projects from scoping through to productionization and delivery.
In addition, you'll also:
- Interface with internal scientific stakeholders and customers to understand what data they need to conduct high quality research.
- Apply ML and NLP techniques to turn raw clinical data into high quality research variables.
- Work with quantitative scientists and oncologists to validate that your models can be used to generate sound scientific insights.
- Collaborate with other Data Scientists on our team and across the company to level-up our ML capabilities by developing new ML architectures.
- Work cross-functionally with software engineers to productionize these new variables.
Who You Are
You're a product-focused data scientist, with experience in leveraging ML and NLP to solve real-world problems. You're excited by the prospect of rolling up your sleeves to tackle meaningful problems each and every day. You’re a kind, passionate and collaborative problem-solver who seeks and gives candid feedback, and values the chance to make an important impact.
- You have 3+ years of relevant working experience in a technical capacity, with a focus on ML. Prior experience with NLP is strongly preferred.
- You have a strong background in applying ML to solve real-world problems.
- You have collaborated with other technical team members in a production development environment using formal version control, Python, and SQL.
- You have led large, cross-functional initiatives and excel at influencing decision-making without authority.
- You have experience with Deep Learning and LLMs.
- You have ML experience in a healthcare setting.
- You have experience with the risks of bias in machine learning, health equity research/analysis or have worked with underrepresented groups in a clinical research setting.
If this sounds like you, you'll fit right in at Flatiron.
Life at Flatiron
At Flatiron Health, we offer a full range of benefits to support you and your loved ones so you can focus your working hours on improving cancer care and accelerating cancer research, and your non-working hours on everything else life has to offer:
- Work/life autonomy via flexible work hours and flexible paid time off
- Comprehensive compensation package
- 401(k) contribution to help you reach your retirement planning goals
- Financial health resources including 1:1 financial advice
- Mental well-being tools and services
- Parental benefits and policies including family-building care and generous leave
- Path to parenthood programs supporting fertility, adoption and surrogacy
- Travel support for safe healthcare services
- Lifestyle spending account for perks that make sense for you and your family
In addition to our robust benefit offerings, visit our Life at Flatiron page to learn how we support continuous learning through professional development programs and celebrate Diversity in the workplace.
Flatiron Health is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.