Data Engineer - £500 - £550/day - MoD Corsham/Remote
Ministry of Defence (MOD)
UK nationals only.
Existing SC to start.
Cyber Mission Data require a Data Engineer to work within a team of 7 in a Data Operations Team. The Data Engineer will be required to work alongside 5 x Cyber Security Consultants to run and support the onboarding of data feeds and to map out data for use cases.
The Data Engineer will work within a small Data Operations Team, which is part of a wider Team - Cyber Mission Data Alpha. This team consists of Authority Crown Servants, current contract supplier technical resource, and separately procured technical resource. The Cyber Mission Data Alpha team fits within the current construct of the Data as a Service function, which forms part of the wider Defence Cyber Operations.
You will work on:
- The increase in onboarded Cyber related data.
- Work within a Data Operations Team, to turn use cases into value added data visualisation to better inform decision making
- Support the identification of additional data that will add Cyber Value.
- Identify valuable data sources and automate collection processes
- Undertake pre-processing of structured and unstructured data
- Propose solutions and strategies to business challenges
- Collaborate with operations, engineering and product development teams
Essential skills & experience:
- Proven experience as a Data Engineer (10%)
- BSc/BA in Computer Science, Engineering or relevant field; graduate degree in Data Engineering or other numerical field is preferred (10%)
- Experience in data mining (5%)
- Awareness of machine-learning and operations research, statistical data analysis and data visualisation(5%)
- Familiarity with Scala, Java or C++ is an asset (5%)
- Experience using Business Intelligence tools (eg Tableau) and data frameworks (eg Hadoop)(5%)
- Experience of Agile development CI/CD pipeline.(5%)
- Excellent communication and presentation skills and ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non technical audiences (10%)
- Understanding of data connectivity to visualisation tools such as ODBC, JDBC, OLEDB etc. (5%)
- Comprehensive understanding of Regex Syntax, use of capture groups and experience of creating Regex pattern matching
Nice to have:
- Understanding of computer networking (WAN), including network design, security and logging.
- Experience of open source data processing/management tools such as NiFi, Spark, Kafka, Druid, Oozie Storm, Hive, HDFS etc.
- Understanding of Regex Syntax, use of capture groups and experience of creating Regex pattern matching syntax.
- Experience of working with network security data sets, including Syslog, CEF, IDS/IPS Log etc.
- Familiarity with Red Hat Linux Operating System.
- Able to write scripts using Python or Bash
5 days per week, with a mixture of working from MOD Corsham and remote working. The task will dictate the location of the work eg if the specialist is working at secret, then the work will be completed mainly on site. They can default to remote working but if the task dictates that they attend the office then the individual must do this.
Active SC clearance is required by the start date of the contract and this will not be sponsored by the MOD. Candidates must also be eligible for DV clearance as this is required for the role. Due to the clearance level required, only UK nationals can apply for this role.
Off-payroll working rules apply (IR35 in-scope). Any Personal Services Company (PSC) candidates will require to come through an umbrella company.