At 61st Street Service Corporation we are committed to providing our client with excellent customer service while maintaining a productive environment for all employees. The Service Corporation offers a competitive comprehensive Benefit package to eligible employees; including Healthcare and various other benefits including Paid Time off to promote a healthy lifestyle.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer and we adhere to all requirements of all applicable federal, state, and local civil rights laws.
The Customer Service Specialist I is responsible for handling and resolving incoming phone calls from patients, insurance carriers and or physician offices. Responsibilities will include collections of outstanding patient balances, establishing payment arrangements, updating patient and guarantor account with new demographic and insurance coverage information. The Customer Service Specialist must exhibit professional and courteous behavior at all times during patient and/or client interaction. Essential Functions:
1. Expeditiously handle large volume of calls and perform work in a timely manner.
2. Attempts to collect full payment from patient or guarantor in a professional and courteous manner.
3. Establishes payment arrangements per guidelines. Documents terms in billing system.
4. Applies of payments collected over the phone to each date of service.
5. Handles customer inquiries, disputes and complaints in a professional and courteous manner. Escalates contentious complaints to supervisor or higher management.
6. Provides appropriate response immediately or indicate a call back with a business day as appropriate.
7. Obtains all insurance, demographic, guarantor information and updates patient profile as well as bill third party payers as appropriate.
8. Meets productivity and quality targets.
9. Follows communication procedures, guidelines and policies.
10. Clearly documents in system summary of work and follow up steps after each call.
11. Resolves calls in queue in a timely and efficient manner.
12. Performs other job duties as required and assigned including, but not limited to, job functions within the self-pay collections and customer service units.
13. Conforms to all applicable HIPAA, Billing Compliance and safety policies and guidelines. Minimum Qualifications:
1. High school graduate or GED certificate is required.
2. A minimum of 6 months experience in a physician billing or third party payer environment.
3. Candidate must demonstrate a strong customer service and patient focused orientation and the ability to communicate, adapt, and respond to complex situations. Including the ability to diffuse complex situations in a calm and professional manner.
4. Must demonstrate an understanding of contracts, insurance benefits, exclusions and other billing requirements as well as claim forms, HMOs, PPOs, Medicare, Medicaid and compliance program regulations.
5. Candidate must demonstrate the ability to understand and navigate the payer adjudication process.
6. Must demonstrate effective communication skills both verbally and written.
7. Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and manage time effectively.
8. Functional proficiency in computer software skills (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook, E-mail, etc.)
9. Ability to work independently.
10. The ideal candidate is a motivated individual with a positive attitude and exceptional work ethic.
11. Must successfully complete systems training requirements. Preferred Qualifications:
1. Patient financial and practice management system experience in Epic and or other of electronic billing systems is preferred.
2. Knowledge of medical terminology is preferred.
3. Previous call center experience is preferred.
4. Previous claims experience is preferred.
5. Previous experience in an academic healthcare setting is preferred.Accessibility: If you need an accommodation as part of the employment process please contact Human Resources atPhone: Email: Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled and veterans.