Bennie is an employee benefits platform that helps companies create a healthier workplace. We provide technology and services that are beyond what growing companies typically receive, yet exactly what they need. Our goal is to provide high quality company benefits through an engaging platform, while empowering employees to leverage their benefit options easily and effectively.
At Bennie, we're creating an environment where our people can learn, thrive and move our mission forward. Our team is fully remote across the United States, and we also have offices in Stamford, CT and downtown Manhattan. Bennie is committed to not only helping companies create healthier workplaces, but also building a better world. 1% of the company's equity has been pledged to supporting community and health-related causes, so as the company grows, so does the size and scope of our commitment. Our Bennie team owns our company and our culture. We prize diversity of thought and expertise within our team-and we're always looking for amazing people to help us do and be more.About The Role
Bennie is looking for an experienced Controller to lead our accounting and finance team. Reporting to the VP of Finance, this position will be a key member of the finance and accounting leadership team. The key responsibilities will be centered around developing internal accounting and audit processes to set the foundations for the Finance and Accounting org to scale. The ideal candidate is someone who will work independently, drive projects from concept to completion, communicate effectively across teams and enjoy collaborating with people with diverse skills, all while operating in a dynamic and fast paced environment.Responsibilities
- Build out the accounting team from the ground up - including technical accounting, AR/AP, Revenue and Expense Accounting functions.
- Responsible for accurate and timely monthly and year-end close processes and the preparation of internal and external financial statements in accordance with US GAAP.
- Lead the audit process with external auditors - including financial statement drafting, day-to-day coordination of audit work and overall relationship with the audit firm and team.
- Work with cross functional business teams such as Sales, Marketing, Product, Engineering and People to assist with decision making related to Technical Accounting, Tax, SOX compliance and other related topics.
- Maintain a strong internal control environment, updating the design and scope of controls as the business evolves to maintain the integrity of financial reporting.
- Assist with the company's monthly/annual budgeting and forecasting process.
- Annual closing and preparation of schedules for consolidated accrual financial statements
- Monthly carrier reconciliations
- Establish and oversee accounting systems, processes and procedures to ensure efficient operation of the firm's financial function as wells as appropriate controls, checks and balances so that all accounting records are accurate
- Improve the financial close processes for a fast-paced, rapidly growing insurtech company
- Establish and maintain accounting policies, leading practices and procedures to ensure US GAAP compliance
- Manage the general ledger, technical accounting & policy, consolidations and reporting
- Lead a team and grow and develop the future team
- Oversee all accounting integration & valuation for mergers & acquisitions
- Management of the company's exposures and processing of sales tax requirements
Nice to haves
- 4+ years of accounting experience
- CPA required
- Startup or VC-backed company experience is a must
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP
- Strong financial reporting skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Insurance carrier, broker, insurtech or fintech experience highly preferred
- Experience in a fast-paced, rapidly growing environment. Must have ability to roll up his/her sleeves and still enjoy the work
- Demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace
- Unquestionable integrity and discretion
- Corporate Controller or Assistant Controller level experience
We believe in comprehensive benefits and perks that provide total wellness solutions. We offer excellent healthcare choices, and lots of other great perks!
At Bennie, we continually celebrate the diverse community different individuals cultivate. As an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to our values by ensuring everyone feels they can flourish and grow. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
- Highly competitive compensation package including salary and equity
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Remote-First, work from anywhere
- 401(k) plan
- Parental Leave & flexible vacation policy