As the Chief Financial Officer / Chief Operating Officer you will be the right hand operating partner to our incredibly driven and entrepreneurial founder and Managing Director. In this long term growth focused role, you will oversee a group of companies ranging in size, industry, country and regulatory framework, and will be the strategic implementer of his bold long term vision. Operating in a complex, fast moving, aggressive and very ambitious environment, you will lead a number of functions and will balance the requirement to be very hands on but also highly strategic, attracting, deploying and retaining very talented leadership in your teams and the businesses we manage.
The functions you will oversee include; group level strategy, finance, people, legal and investment operations. Operating on an annual and quarterly planning cycle you will work with business unit leadership to develop unit strategy, budgets, and teams, to create, maintain and grow sustainable competitive advantage on a unit by unit basis. You will also develop and implement metrics management systems, to measure, manage and exponentially improve a global KPI dashboard that reflects overall portfolio profitability and value.
In your role you will be hands-on in overseeing our investment portfolio and global tax strategy including risk analysis and mitigation. You will also lead inside and outside investment strategy and drive the overall growth and alignment of our business units to maximize exit value leading strategy and executing transactions including; land acquisition, venture capital investments, taking companies public and/or business unit sale, across a range of industries and countries.
WHO YOU ARE
Passionate - You love business and are highly proficient in all elements of it. You have a passion for, and experience, with multi-business systems, operations, strategy, finance, group level operations, global tax, capital transactions and navigating complex legal environments to maximize sustainable competitive advantage and long term profit.
Brilliant - You are incredibly intelligent; you know it and so do the people around you, yet you maintain a strong sense of humility that allows you to be a very effective team player and leader of other brilliant and ambitious people. You move fast, challenge greatness and play the chess game many moves ahead.
Highly Organized -You are proficient at establishing personal and business operating systems to manage large amounts of complexity and are capable of executing at a high pace, in environments of rapid change, high pressure, and complexity.
Leader - You have a natural style of leadership that attracts highly talented people and inspires them to find, hold and conquer mountains, as a team. You have a group of people that follow you to where you go, are a great judge of talent, and are a strong force for creating an unstoppable winning culture.
Relentless - you have deep internal motivation to win, and have a clear track record of perseverance and accomplishment under difficult circumstances. You are at a place in your life where you are prepared to dedicate yourself to your work and you are ready to build something meaningful on a global scale.
- Leadership of group level strategic planning including managing sessions with BU leader teams, optimization of processes and accountability for timeline and outcome compliance.
- Leading integrated group level accounting and budgeting including quarterly zero based resets across all companies to a standard that supports easy exit and investment.
- Creation, updating and management of portfolio wide strategic KPI dashboards and driving their use in consistent value creation.
- Leading talent acquisition systems and strategies for group with personal focus on BU leadership teams and President/GM roles.
- Assisting the founder in managing strategic delivery of direct reports including business unit leaders and leadership teams in businesses which he actively serves as CEO
- Working closely with GC, identifying and navigating all legal risks while developing mitigation strategies to hedge/reduce risk on a wide variety of parameters.
- Working with GC to manage all legal requirements of all organizations
- Oversight of business wide IT and systems strategy including integrated ERP/MRP/CRM for efficiency, effectiveness and security
- Management and Development of organizational investment strategy including portfolio businesses, outside investment, real estate, public market activity
- Development of capitalization and exit strategy across portfolio companies; activities include strategic exit US CPG(500m-1b), Canadian IPO(10-50M), 5-10M series A technology company, various asset based real estate transactions.
- Management of global banking and investment banking relationships including establishing new relationships/accounts, preparation of presentations, managing reporting requirements and leading capital expansion initiatives.
- Leading global tax strategy Canada/Barbados/US/Europe for efficiency, compliance and risk management.
- Establish and oversee enterprise auditing procedures to maintain asset security.
- Collaborate with founder to conceptualize new business opportunities and establish to profitability
- Identifying and executing possible M and A targets to support rapid and strategic expansion of BU's.
- MBA or similar degree in accounting or finance; CPA/CA designation required
- Minimum of 8 years of experience as head of finance (VP Finance/CFO) in a growing organization with multi business segments. Complex corporate structure experience is a plus.
- Minimum 5 years working with, and reporting directly to founders / entrepreneurs with a list of highly favorable references from entrepreneurial leaders
- Must thrive in fast paced, rapid change, hypergrowth environments
- Deep track record of working with highly entrepreneurial leaders to create exponential, profitable growth
- Previous responsibility as COO/GM in a hyper-growth, multi business company with revenue of 50-250M+
- Designated accountant with strong background and proficiency in finance, and accounting in a global tax optimized environment including at least 5 years in a group CFO function
- At least 15 years of managing multi business P & L / budgets across a wide range of industries
- Business portfolio management including; integrated budgeting, dashboard creation and management, organizational development, CXX recruiting and optimization
- Extensive experience participating in and leading finance, legal and people functions of corporate capitalization strategies including; IPO, Sale, JV, etc
- Highly proficient with and previous experience managing legal including intellectual property, litigation, contacts law, global tax, employment, product sales and compliance in regulated industries EG medtech, dietary supplements, alcohol, pharmaceuticals, cannabis, land development, etc
- Highly capable hands on leader with strong proficiency with remote work technology and all major business tools (highly tech savvy)
- Previous experience managing systems/ERP implementation and development across business life cycles including creating integrated systems
- Previous leadership of the people function in high growth environments including leadership development, talent acquisition and human capital systems
- Extensive strategic planning experience including leadership of the framework and process in a multi-business environment.
- Very strong references, which you reported to, that support your suitability for this role.
Preference will be shown to candidates with the following:
- Current CPA designation