Full-time • Temporary • Competitive Pay & Benefits
Role: Campus and Community Organizer
Location and Timeline: We are hiring Campus and Community Organizers for this position beginning March 3 and ending on November 15, 2024. Organizers must be based in Las Vegas, NV; Phoenix, AZ; Tucson, AZ; Columbus, OH; Manchester, NH; or Lehigh Valley, PA.
Who We Are: The Outreach Team is the national engine of campaigners and organizers powering the young-people vote movement. With an on-the-ground presence in communities all across the country, our world-class team runs successful civic engagement campaigns to build a future that’s fairer, healthier, safer and more peaceful for everyone. We are excited to once again be working with Population Connection Action Fund on a campaign to end the Global Gag Rule, which disqualifies some of the most effective and experienced family planning providers in the world from receiving U.S. assistance. We also want to encourage young people to register and vote!
Founded in 2013, Population Connection Action Fund supports the mission of Population Connection to educate the American people and advocate progressive action to stabilize world population at a level that can be sustained by Earth’s resources. Population Connection Action Fund’s grassroots supporters are deeply invested in supporting voluntary, rights-based family planning programs both domestically and globally. Our goal is to turn that passion into real political progress.
About the Global Gag Rule: The Global Gag Rule, when it is in effect, disqualifies some of the most effective and experienced family planning providers in the world from receiving U.S. assistance. Whether the policy is in place is a matter of life and death for people around the world. Lack of access to family planning information and services puts the lives and health of women at risk for no defensible reason. Millions of these women experience unintended pregnancies, and tens of thousands of them die from complications from pregnancies every year, including by unsafe abortion.
General Job Overview:
Campus and Community Organizers will be charged with recruiting, training, and working with a team of volunteers on college campuses and their local communities and build support for permanently ending the Global Gag Rule. This work will lead into a series of summer summits to train local leaders who will fight for global reproductive freedom. In the fall, Organizers will transition to overseeing non-partisan paid canvass operations to educate and turn out young voters in the 2024 General Election.
- Recruit and Train a Community of Volunteer Activists
- Call and text supporters and recruit them into grassroots actions
- Identify new volunteers by gathering petitions and other campaign actions around ending the Global Gag Rule, and both on and off-campus recruitment efforts
- Run grassroots skills trainings to develop effective campaigners among volunteers
- Keep meticulous track of a volunteer list so that no potential volunteer falls through the cracks
- Recruit, train, and manage two summer fellows
- Represent the campaign through participation in community spaces and events, while engaging and uplifting coalition and partner organizations
- Generate Campaign Actions and Organize Events
- Gather over a thousand petitions to generate support for ending the Global Gag Rule
- Schedule and execute grassroots lobby meetings between Members of Congress and constituent activists
- Recruit for, attend, and help to plan and execute partner-led events
- Assist in organizing and recruiting attendees for #FightForHer Summits to train new reproductive rights advocates and leaders
- Manage a paid canvass operation
- Recruit, hire, and train paid canvassers to educate voters on the upcoming 2024 General Election
- Go in the field yourself several days per week to canvass, train staff, and help drive office goals by knocking on doors
- Develop strategic plans to reach target voters/constituencies in assigned locations
- Manage administrative duties, including reporting data, record keeping, processing payroll, and distributing materials
- Manage Digital Campaign, Data Management, and Reporting Tools
- Demonstrate public support by recruiting volunteers to post on their own social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Use peer-to-peer texting services and relational organizing tools to communicate with community members.
- Send timely and compelling email campaigns to recruit activists to campaign activities.
- Track every interaction with detailed notes in order to report numbers daily and write weekly reports on the results of the campaign.
Who You Are & Keys to Success (the must-haves):
To be successful in this job, you will excel in these areas:
- Relationship Building: You develop and maintain strong, collaborative relationships with a diverse group of local and statewide community members. You are attentive and empathetic to the communities we serve, regardless of race, ethnicity, class, gender, or ability, and can identify shared values across communities for collective growth. You can build authentic relationships through authenticity and reliability, continuously uplifting others and their goals. You are comfortable and experienced in public speaking to a group about reproductive health and rights.
- Inclusive and Collaborative Leadership: You approach leadership with a “power with” mindset that recognizes the impact power hierarchies have in different settings. You can learn from others, see and hear other perspectives, and step in or step back as necessary. You are reliable and accountable, always transparent about your abilities, capacities, and expectations. You honor the time and commitments of others while inspiring them to meet goals.
- Commitment to Equity and Inclusion: You have a proven ability to develop meaningful connections with diverse communities, including a wide range of community organizations, community leaders, and community members. You work with the community and within the workplace to identify areas of improvement for a more equitable environment. You take continued action and efforts to improve your DEI knowledge, skills, and tools.
- Drive to Achieve Results: You have experience accomplishing ambitious goals and getting results, even when there are obstacles. You have the experience or ability to plan backwards to meet multiple goals timely and effectively. When there are unexpected changes, you bounce back and adjust quickly, learning and improving from any mistakes.
Skills and Experiences Expected of all Outreach Team employees:
- Commitment to equity and justice, with an agreement to our North Star (below).
- Experience bringing a lens of inclusivity to all of your interactions with colleagues and community members.
- Passion for the role that your work plays in creating change in the world.
- Kindness and consideration for others.
- Drive to work collaboratively: learning from others; stepping-in or stepping-back when needed.
- Transparency: comfort admitting what you do and don’t know, your capacity, and abilities.
- Task management: Able to adapt to the evolving needs of a project. Able to tackle big-picture projects and break them down into smaller pieces.
- Organized and efficient: Experience or demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects or goals at once in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
- Acute attention to detail: Track interactions and tasks with detailed notes. Plans ahead for roadblocks and bounces back quickly when problems arise.
- Effective communication skills (written or spoken) that are clear, concise and honest.
- Comfortable and excited to speak about the campaign publicly.
- Coach and learning mentality: successful experience or willingness to learn new things and pick up new skills on the job. Able to learn from mistakes and try again.
- Understanding of how your words and actions affect others, including an awareness of power language and communication accessibility.
- Ability to work weekends and weekday evenings, occasional holidays.
Nice-to-Haves, but Not Required:
- Experience working for nonprofits and issue campaigns.
- Data Management and Evaluation Experience: Experience working with various data management systems and tools, mainly Google Suite.
- Experience with Relevant Campaign Tools and Technologies: Action Network, ThruText, MailChimp, eCRMs like EveryAction, or social media tools (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram).
- Event or Project Planning & Management, Implementation or Evaluation.
- Knowledge or previous experience working on this issue is a plus, but not required.
- Candidates with campus organizing experience and/or recent graduates of the above institutions are preferred.
Salary, Benefits and Perks:
The salary for this position is $47,600-$59,600 commensurate with experience. Salary within this range is determined through an equity calculator. As part of The Outreach Team’s commitment to compensation equity and transparency, we have a no-negotiation policy. Salary negotiations can introduce bias and perpetuate wage inequality. At the end of the campaign, there may be opportunities for advancement. We offer a generous benefits package, including:
- Unlimited paid vacation (pending approval) and sick leave
- Generous health, dental and vision benefits
- A monthly cell phone stipend.
What Else You Should Know:
Equity and Inclusion is our North Star: At The Outreach Team we believe deeply that equity and inclusion in our organization makes us better at our work and helps to build a stronger progressive movement. We are an equal opportunity employer and we strongly encourage women, people of color, members of the LGBTQIA community and people who identify with other underrepresented groups to apply.
Our organization is inclusive of POC, ethnic/culture minorities, LGBTQIA+ individuals, individuals with disabilities, and those who are neurodivergent, regardless of educational backgrounds, previous incarceration or convictions. Our leadership team reflects our inclusivity and is reflective of the progressive community we work in and serve.
Please note: We want to hire people of all gender identities. This hiring platform (JazzHR) does not allow us to add in specific options for gender identities outside of the binary, but we are currently working with them to find a solution.