Broadcast Associate, Graphics
Remote – Orem, UT Chess
Chess.com is one of the largest gaming sites in the world and the #1 platform for playing, learning, and enjoying chess.
We are a team of 600+ fully remote people in 60+ countries working hard to serve the global chess community. We are here to support 125M+ chess players worldwide with the best possible product, content, and tools to serve the community!
We are a tech company. A gaming company. A content company. And we do it all with passion and commitment to the game. Above all, we prize our mission-driven, flat, life-celebrating, non-corporate culture, and we look forward to meeting you and learning more about what you can bring to the team.
As a Graphics Associate, you are well-versed in operating in LIVE broadcast environments that cover a variety of events such as sports, esports, or news. Your skillset enables you to efficiently prepare, construct, execute, and integrate specialized graphics into a live broadcast. You possess the resilience and determination necessary to sustain a high level of engagement throughout broadcasts that can last for 4-6 hours.
You are team player who knows how to appropriately collaborate in a broadcast control room whether in a truck, studio, or remotely. You have a keen eye for details ensuring style guides, grammar, and spelling are followed accurately.
You are excited to be the bridge between producers and graphics operators to facilitate the creation of broadcast graphics. You take pride in being the gatekeeper of graphics information, ensuring that it is credible, accurate, and engaging. Additionally, aspiring to become a producer in the future is a bonus for this role.
If you are looking to spend more quality time at home with your loved ones, our remote production and cloud workflows are the perfect solution!
- Please see twitch.com/chess or youtube.com/chess for examples of our video/broadcast content.
What You’ll Do
You’ll become a part of a closely-knit and rapidly expanding broadcast team responsible for facilitating 300+ LIVE esports-style broadcasts. The graphics you produce will be prominently featured in thousands of hours of programming aired across various platforms belonging to Chess.com, such as Twitch, YouTube, ChessTV, and linear TV. Your commitment to preserving Chess.com’s brand values and upholding brand initiatives in all productions is paramount.
- Collaborate closely with producers and graphics operators to develop engaging graphics for assigned LIVE broadcasts (4-6 hour streams), pre- and post-produced studio shows, and other programming.
- Work closely with producers, directors, and design teams to develop and execute the visual look and feel of each broadcast, with a focus on enhancing the editorial content.
- Collaborate with the graphics design team to request and create show templates for editorial needs, and ensure seamless delivery and integration of desired graphics elements into live and pre-recorded broadcasts.
- Attend production meetings, conduct research on storylines, and serve as a liaison between the graphics department and show producers and coordinating producers to ensure that graphics support the intended editorial direction.
- Review compiled information, and work with researchers, statisticians, producers, and chess experts to develop graphics that effectively communicate accurate and engaging storytelling.
- Take a leadership role in adhering to and contributing to the style guide for proper grammar, spelling, and layouts.
- Ensure that all information presented in broadcast graphics is correct, and lead by example in maintaining high standards for accuracy.
- Manage graphics operators, and operate web-based Singular for smaller shows as needed.
- Troubleshoot graphics issues as they arise during broadcasts and implement effective solutions in real-time.
- Collaborate with technical and engineering teams to ensure that graphics integration needs for production are effectively met.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in LIVE sports, esports, or broadcast productions in control room, studio, REMI or REMI hybrid environments
- At least 1 year of experience as a broadcast associate managing insert and fullscreen graphics for LIVE sports or esports broadcasts at a major media outlet
- Preferred but not required: experience and passion for chess
- Experience working on tight deadlines in a high-pressure broadcast setting
- Stamina for executing LIVE broadcasts that run between 4-6 hours
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Highly organized, proactive, and able to manage multiple assignments effectively
- Ability to work independently in a dynamic environment, recommend process improvements and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Demonstrated tact, diplomacy, decisiveness, and superior people skills required in a high-pressure, live television environment
- Experience working in various production environments, including trucks, studios, and fully remote setups
- Must be flexible to work nights, weekends, and holidays
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Broadcast Journalism, or a related major is highly preferred
About the Opportunity
- This is a full-time or contract position
- We are 100% remote (work from anywhere!)
- This position is open to US and Canadian based applicants
We look forward to meeting you!