Engineering Manager, Backend Leadership role (Microsoft Stack)
90% leadership and 10% hands-on
Please Note: unable to sponsor now, unable to sponsor in future. This is a Direct-Hire opportunity. No Agencies, Third-Party Vendors, or Recruiters.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to be a practice area leader in backend software engineering. Managing a team of 8-10 software engineers, operating in small squads that work directly with Product, Research, Design and Front End Engineering teams to build complex custom software applications.
The Backend Engineering Manager is responsible for ensuring engineering output meets the highest of quality standards and that the team continues to thrive, grow and continuously improve.
- More than five years managing, mentoring and growing teams of software engineers
- Proven track record of building teams that deliver complex software on-time and in-budget
Responsibilities and Duties
As a Backend Engineering Manager you are responsible for:
Hiring and Training
- Attract, nurture, coach, and retain talent.
- Ensure every assigned engineer has a career progression plan with regular check-in points and real-time feedback.
- Ensure engineers are provided with continuous and valuable learning opportunities.
- Contribute to defining and building the vision for our engineering organization.
- Contribute to defining quality standards for our work.
- Contribute to creating training and learning material and opportunities for engineers.
Managing and Directing
- Talk to engineers to tease out concerns early, then fix them when possible.
- Resolve conflicts or performance problems with engineers.
- Embody the engineering culture and contribute to its advancement, inspiring everyone to live up to it.
- Maintainer and contributor to our company engineering internal and public artifacts such as our quality standards and guidelines.
- Represent the engineering organization with other departments and ensure we provide engineering support wherever necessary in the company.
- Support team happiness
Engineering and Delivery
- Responsible for the quality and quantity of the engineering output.
- Responsible for the continuous, iterative improvement of our engineering team.
- Work closely with product management team to ensure we're building the best products.
An ideal candidate will have a demonstrable understanding and/or hands-on experience with most of the following technologies:
- .NET Core
- Cosmos DB
- SQL Server
- REST API
- Azure Function