Application Support Engineer with sound skills in RDBMS / SQL scripting ideally Oracle / PL/SQL or SQL with MS SQL Server or MySQL or PostgreSQL and Enterprise Software / SaaS Systems support / troubleshooting/development to be a customer-focused application support engineer is required by leading international SAAS / Software Provider in the Pharma / Life Sciences domain whos highly complex software is used by scientists to aid new vaccine/drug discovery.
This role will support East Coast US Hours once you are established after about 6 months so working from 2 pm to 10 pm UK time so will suit someone who likes to work in the afternoon / evening
This role will be a hybrid working from home and in the London Office (close to London Bridge) 2 days per week while you get trained over the initial circa 6 months.
Key skills required for the Application Support Engineer include
- A background in customer-centric Enterprise Application Software support or software configuration, or a Software Development background who would like to move into support
- Sound proficiency in RDBMS, writing SQL / SQL scripting ideally with Oracle and PL/SQL as this is database / language used, SQL / database skill such as MS SQL Server or MySQL or PostgreSQL or Sybase etc
- Sound experience of the Windows operating system
- Customer centric person as you will be dealing with customer to solve technical issues
- Good skills in time estimation, and prioritising tasks to work across multiple projects or tasks deadlines.
- Attention to detail and quality as scientific systems are very precise and complex
Desirable skills for the Application Support Engineer role would include
- Ability to read and understand C# & .NET would be advantageous but not essential
- Experience of Windows Servers / Deploying onto Windows Servers or deploying to the Cloud / AWS would be beneficial
- Any experience of Life Sciences / Pharma software / Laboratory / Lab systems / Lab Informatics such LIMS, LIS, LMS, Lab Sample Management, Lab Automation, Liquid Handling, Lab Robotic Automation, Lab Inventory data, Automated Stores, Rack Scanners or Electronic balanceswould be an advantage
Key responsibilities as an Application Support Engineer would include
- Provide application support for US customers so working between UK times 2 pm to 10pm (and one week in 4 supporting the week coast so they will be around 2 hours later)
- Troubleshooting technical issues/configuration issues mainly around Oracle / PL/SQL
- Reading / troubleshooting C# code & .NET systems over time
- Work towards the timely (within agreed SLA) resolution of support issues arising for software systems installed at customer sites
- Investigate customer-reported issues via remote access to customer systems
- Gather sufficient, suitable evidence to allow further diagnosis by others such as developers
- Perform data fixes or configuration changes to resolve issues or work around problems
- Keep detailed records of support issues and change request systems
- Test and apply fixes such as remedial scripts/patches and/or co-ordinate the application of patches through appropriate customer representatives
- Maintain an active and excellent working relationship with customers
- Develop a strong functional knowledge of the product, and gain detailed understanding of the inner workings of the product suite
- Work closely with the Software Development team to highlight problems and raise change requests (CRs) that will eliminate/alleviate appropriate customer support issues
- Participate in regular support meetings with customers
- Undertake occasional travel (< 5%) to customer sites for the provision of on-site support or training
- Take responsibility for the maintenance of internal Test systems which mimic customer installations
- Participate in process improvement activities within the support team, and other work such as documentation
This is an outstanding chance to join an international software company whos software us used by the majority of the worlds top 20 Bio-Pharma companies and who software integrates with Laboratory Sample Management / LIMS software for pharmaceutical and biotech laboratories with robotic automation systems (liquid handlers, automated stores, etc.).
Opus Resourcing acts as an employment agency in respect of permanent employment.