The Location: London, New York, Houston, Denver Grade:
9 & 10 The Role:
This role is a contributor to Platts' global low carbon markets analysis - with a key focus on low carbon oil and gas. The analyst is responsible for researching, analyzing, and reporting on emissions and emissions abatement initiatives in the upstream and downstream sectors of the global oil and gas industry and the market impacts associated with the carbon intensity of oil and gas production, processing and supply chains. The analyst will also analyze the linkages between the sectors and carbon credit markets, as well as the certification of low carbon oil and gas commodities. This role is at the forefront of Platts' objective to bring transparency to new segments of an oil and gas market seeking to decarbonize. The analyst is part of a team of four analysts located across global regions, tasked with daily market research and developing and maintaining of a suite of new analytical offerings. The Impact:
This is a key role for Platts as it is focused on delivering on the promise of a brand new area of coverage that is of key importance to the future of the company as well as having a high degree of impact on the broader world. It involves driving transparency in the oil and gas markets that are rapidly seeking to reduce and offset greenhouse gas emissions in all corners of the market. This role is crucial to assisting oil and gas market participants navigate the Energy Transition and the numerous risks and opportunities associated with the transition to a less carbon-intensive oil and gas market and supply chains. The Career Opportunity:
To work at the forefront of an historical shift in oil and gas markets by driving industry-leading analysis and insights and to work from the core of Platts' Energy Transition initiatives which bring transparency to new segments of global energy markets. The analyst is uniquely positioned to collaborate with various groups within Platts including analytics, pricing, strategy, commercial, market engagement, and product development. The analyst reports to the Low Carbon Market (Footprints) Manager. The Team / The Business:
Low Carbon markets is a new team in Platts Analytics developing the insights and analysis to support the markets of the future as we enter into the Energy Transition. You will work with a highly motivated and innovative team of analysts who share the common goals of driving transparency in new or opaque markets and creating actionable solutions for our customers. You will work with a global team in a fast-paced and highly collaborative environment, collaborating with analysts in London, New York, Houston, Denver, and Singapore.
The low carbon markets analysis team will work with quantitative modelers to establish appropriate analytical methodology, with Platts' core price group to support price assessments, and with commercial and market engagement teams to ensure maximum value delivery to stakeholders. The team is on the cutting edge of market knowledge, monitoring all latest developments in the end to end footprints of low carbon markets including company objective and technology implementation (including CCUS), evolving regulatory environments, and increasingly available datasets. The team delivers analysis and insights to market participants though several mediums including periodic and special reports, data visualization platforms, conferences and events, and other customer engagement forums. Responsibilities:
Knowledge and Skills:
- Build understanding of low carbon markets including measurement and monitoring end to end footprint, developing market mechanisms, and leveraging technology and offsets to mitigate footprints.
- Conduct upstream/downstream oil and gas market research in a rapidly evolving environment
- Identify and analyze oil and gas emissions data sources, producer emissions reporting, targets, and abatement initiatives across the supply chain
- Identify and develop expertise on emissions abatement opportunities
- Identify data needed to track and monitor the carbon footprint of the Energy Industry
- Deliver succinct and high-quality written content that demonstrates the expertise outlined above.
- Create charts, graphs and other visually valuable content that illustrates the trends Platts' customers need to follow.
- Engage with teams across Platts to ensure cohesive and integrated low carbon oil and gas view.
- Collaborate with quantitative modelers to develop precise and transparent analytical methodology ensuring alignment in assumptions
- Work with product development team to create new offerings and enhance existing products
- Work with Platts price group to transfer analytical outputs for utilization in price assessments
- Work with commercial and customer engagement teams to execute commercialization plans and communicate value propositions; provide ongoing support to customers
- Educate key internal stakeholders on our low carbon oil and gas offerings, methodology, and value proposition
- Engage with customers via calls, meetings, conferences, and events, communicating methodology and value propositions for low carbon oil and gas
- Strong team player able to collaborate across multi-cultural teams, commodities and geographies
- University degree in energy systems, economics, chemistry, engineering, or a similar discipline accompanied with relevant industry or research experience.
- 3-5 years of experience conducting research or market analysis in the hydrogen or energy transitions sector. Demonstrated experience with more technical and scientific writing. (Writing sample required with applications)
- Demonstrated level of knowledge and thought leadership in the role of fossil fuels in today's market and the challenges of decarbonizing their existing footprint
- Knowledge (and ideally experience) of energy commodity markets (including carbon markets), strong research and analytical skills, and an innovative approach to solving complex problems.
- Awareness of technologies and challenged for developing lower carbon intensive oil and gas markets and supply chains.
- Ability to think critically, act decisively, and deliver results.
- Strong interpersonal skills including an ability anticipate customer needs among competing objectives.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to convey complex and innovative concepts to internal and external stakeholders of various market knowledge levels.
- An ability to represent the business to high-level managers of IOCs, NOCs, regulators, and others key stakeholders in meetings and presentations.
- Knowledge of mathematical, statistical and modelling concepts and research methods, including: learning curves and regressions.
- Technical abilities around organizing and analyzing data. Strong Microsoft Suite skills are required with an emphasis on Excel.
At S&P Global Platts, we provide the insights; you make better informed trading and business decisions with confidence. We're the leading independent provider of information and benchmark prices for the commodities and energy markets. Customers in over 150 countries look to our expertise in news, pricing and analytics to deliver greater transparency and efficiency to markets. S&P Global Platts coverage includes oil and gas, power, petrochemicals, metals, agriculture and shipping.
S&P Global Platts is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence. For more information, visit www.platts.com.
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions without regard to race/ethnicity, sex, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: [email protected]
and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
The EEO is the Law Poster http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf describes discrimination protections under federal law.
20 - Professional (EEO-2 Job Categories-United States of America), ANLYTC202.1 - Middle Professional Tier I (EEO Job Group) Job ID:
258931 Posted On:
Houston, Texas, United States