Description About this role
At BlackRock, we are looking for Software Engineers who like to innovate and tackle sophisticated problems. We know that strength comes from diversity, and will embrace your unique skills and perspectives while giving you the opportunity to grow technically and as an individual.
With over USD $8.7 trillion of assets we have a fiduciary responsibility: our technology empowers millions of investors to save for retirement, pay for college, buy a home and improve their financial wellbeing.
Being a developer at BlackRock means you get the best of both worlds: working for one of the most progressive financial companies and also being part of a software engineering team responsible for next generation technology and solutions. What is Aladdin and the Aladdin Product Group (APG)?
You will be working on BlackRock's investment operating system Aladdin. Aladdin is used both by BlackRock and externally by many financial institutions across the globe. Aladdin combines sophisticated risk analytics with comprehensive portfolio management, trading and operations tools on a single platform to improve decision-making and build connective tissue for thousands of investors worldwide.
Our development teams sit inside the Aladdin Product Group (APG), a part of BlackRock with a strong Product and Engineering culture. We collaboratively build the next generation of technology that changes the way information, people, and technology intersect for global investment firms. We build and package tools that manage trillions in assets and supports millions of financial instruments. We perform risk calculations and process millions of transactions for thousands of users every day worldwide!
BlackRock is pivoting into Climate and ESG, placing Sustainability at the center of our focus. APG's new Sustainability Engineering team is core to this ambition. The team is building the API and Data solutions that delivers these exciting new products to investors and citizen developers at BlackRock, the many financial institutions who use Aladdin and importantly the communities they serve. In addition, we are responsible for integrating user interfaces and reporting tools to meet the huge demand for Sustainability data.
If you're interested in working on a world class tech stack to design, prototype, and iterate solutions as part of dynamic team. Come join us to make a real contribution to BlackRock's green mission! We are open to applications for both of our New York and for our San Francisco office! Your Responsibilities
Your Qualifications & Experience
- You participate in a scaled agile team - sprint grooming, product increments, retrospectives, demos, and actively share knowledge across a global team.
- You write high-quality code across the full-stack.
- You review pull requests and give feedback to help the team grow.
- Grow yourself: be better every single day, we are always learning.
- You speak up when identifying issues and roadblocks.
- Grow the team: we measure ourselves by how fast we bring new team members up to speed.
Interested? Hit apply! Our benefits
- 3+ years hands-on experience in Java.
- Experience with climate and ESG related products or financial software.
- An eye for quality with an emphasis on test driven development.
- Experience in gRPC, Protobuff and Swagger.
- Full-stack / DevOps experience.
- Cassandra, Sybase or document based database technologies and proficient on SQL
- Hadoop or other map/reduce technology
- Basic understanding of cloud technology such as K8s, docker and file storage (S3 or Azure File)
- Project and issue tracking systems, ideally JIRA/Atlassian or Azure DevOps.
- Effective communication and presentation skills (written and verbal) are required.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science or engineering preferred.
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
BlackRock's purpose is to help more and more people experience financial well-being. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, we help millions of people build savings that serve them throughout their lives by making investing easier and more affordable.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com/corporate | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person's appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, ancestry, medical condition, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and also any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.